Saturday, January 30, 2010

Practice Practice Practice

"The secret is in the dirt." I can't remember who said that. It sounds Trevino-ish, but I think it was probably Hogan. The meaning is that while thinking, reading and studying about golf can all be valuable, time spent performing the act--actually hitting golf shots--is where the answers can be truly found. I think there is truth to that, and I'm spending a lot of time searching for that secret.

The good news for me is that I love to practice. It's not really labor to me. Right now, it's frustrating because I feel like the "secret" is very elusive, but I know that golf, like a lot of things in life, is cyclical, and I feel like if I keep digging in the dirt, I'm going to find that secret again.

I'm very pleased with the short game practice I've been having. I feel like my chipping and my putting are very good and improving daily. My ball-striking is where I'm struggling. It seems that a swing thought that works one day feels entirely different the next right now. I play my best golf when I'm not thinking at all, and right now my mind is riddled with a multitude of thoughts. I'm not discouraged, though. I've got over two weeks before the Tarheel Tour kicks off on Hilton Head Island, SC, and I've got a lot of dirt that I can explore between now and then. And I enjoy the challenge.

Special note: Anyone have any contacts on Hilton Head that I could potentially use to find housing?


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...