Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rats

I was very confident heading into the final round of this week's Egolf event. After playing decently well in the first three rounds of the Southern Open at Irish Creek, I felt like I was just a few good putts away from having a great round. Unfortunately, my already cool putter turned even colder in the final round, and despite some pretty good ball-striking, I had to settle for a two-under-par round of 69. That round sent me plummeting down the leaderboard and left me in a large tie for 15th at the end of the tournament.

It is very disappointing to again be so close to playing well but have nothing more than a mediocre finish to show for it. I am happy with my play and very encouraged by the potential that I am continuing to show, but I am ready to have some kind of breakthrough performance. I had very much expected to play well this week, but I can tell that I still have some work to do so that all areas of my game will be sharp at the same time.

My practice lately has been good, but I have definitely been struggling a little bit with my putting drills. I haven't been super comfortable over the putter all week, but after the round today I spent some quality time on the practice green and had the best session I have had in a while. I also did some good work with my wedges on the driving range this afternoon and feel like I am continuing to improve with those clubs. My practice during tournament weeks sometimes becomes a little scatter-brained and inefficient, but my practice after today's final round was a great example of what I want my days to look like during the tournament.

I don't have to wait very long for another chance at the Egolf Tour. Next week the tour will be in Aiken, South Carolina, for an event, and I am extremely confident and ready to have a great tournament. By the way, I know it's getting to be very close to tournament time, but I am still looking for a potential host in the Aiken, SC, or Augusta, GA, areas. If anyone knows people in that part of the country, I would be very appreciative if you could put me in touch with them.

I am still going strong! I am definitely ready to have a breakthrough performance somewhere, but I know that it is coming in the near future. My game is very good, and, though I have probably been putting a little too much pressure on myself lately, I am still having tons of fun chasing my dream.

I need to have a couple of good days of practice and preparation, but I will be ready to go on Wednesday when next week's Egolf event begins. Keep it here for a practice report and a pre-tournament update in the next few days. Thank you so much for following me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...