Friday, July 22, 2011

Hard Day but Holding It Together

My play today in the third round of the Egolf Tour's Scratch Golf Championship was very inconsistent. A few good shots in a row would give way to a "what-the-heck?" shot and leave me scrambling. To my credit, I had a great attitude all day and continued to believe in myself, but just couldn't string together enough good shots to get anything going. I offset two bogeys with only three birdies and had to settle for a one-under-par round of 71. I still have a lot of confidence in my game and feel like I can play a very good round to finish the tournament tomorrow.

Here is a story from today's round that makes me proud: In each of my first two rounds, I have three-putted my final hole for disappointing bogeys. Today, I hit a poor nine iron into the 18th hole and faced a 40-foot putt up a tier. The frustrating way that I had finished each of the first two rounds crossed my mind, and I did misjudge the first putt to leave myself five feet for my par. I pushed all distracting thoughts from my mind and just trusted my routine and rolled the par putt right into the left-center of the cup. It was certainly a small victory, but I am proud that I didn't let the negative thoughts from earlier rounds impact my approach to that final putt.

I started the day in fourth place and two shots behind the leaders. I am now in tenth place and four shots behind, but I still feel like I am in good position heading into tomorrow's final round. I need to drive the ball consistently well (like I did in round 1) and have the putter get hot, but if I stay relaxed and patient, I can have a great day tomorrow. I know that it will be a fun final round. Come back for a tournament wrap up after the round tomorrow. Thank you for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...