Monday, April 22, 2013

Catching Up

Other than the fact that it features an open-ended preposition, "Catching Up" is the perfect title for this post. It has a double meaning. Mostly, I am going to catch you up on the events of the last eight days, but it is also accurate to say that I am catching up in terms of my energy and strength. Last week was rough, but I'm going to be stronger because of it, and I am excited heading forward.

So, as I said briefly in my last post, some kind of stomach bug or long-lasting food poisoning got me during last week's eGolf Tour event at Forest Oaks Country Club in Greensboro, NC. I felt noticeably weak and tired during my morning round on the first day. I thought I was being a bit of a wimp, which I can be when I don't feel great, but as I tried to practice in the afternoon, I could tell that I really wasn't very healthy. I forced down some lunch, and that wasn't a good idea. For the next two days, I ate very little, slept a lot, and used what little energy I had to play tournament rounds. After posting an even-par 72 on day one in perfect conditions, I was a little behind the eight ball heading into day two. Fortunately some winds picked up to make play more difficult, and a very steady three-birdie, one-bogey round of 70 was plenty to get me through the cut. I played solidly in some tough conditions during the final round of the 54-hole event, but a balky putter kept me from making a move up the leaderboard. I posted a final-round 70, and my four-under-par total left me with a T25 finish. I didn't hit many good shots last week, but I hit very few poor ones. Had I putted the ball more like my normal self (I was poor on the greens all week), I could have posted another very nice finish. As it is, I'm pleased with way I handled the challenging week.

The after effects of the sickness have been more damaging to my golf game. I didn't manage to eat a full-sized meal until Saturday night, so I struggled a little bit to regain my strength and energy. I travelled early Sunday morning to South Georgia to play the Monday Qualifier for this week's Web.com Tour event in Valdosta. I played a poor practice round on Sunday afternoon, and unfortunately could muster nothing better on Monday morning in the Qualifier. I posted a 73 (+1) on a fairly easy golf course. It was definitely a disappointing effort. I started to feel some pep back in my step during the round, however, and afterwards I felt both hungry and full of energy, so I think I am back.

I am pumped about this week now. Even though I won't be playing in the Web.com Tour event, I am already up in Seneca, South Carolina, and will begin preparations tomorrow for this week's NGA Tour event at Cross Creek Golf Plantation. I did no practicing or working out at all last week, and I missed it. I love to work at my craft, so I am excited to get back after it this week. I already went for a run after the my round in the Monday Qualifier, so I'm off to a good start for the week. I obviously won't push too hard these first couple days, but I feel like I'm ready to get back to work.

Thank you for your faithful support of my career. I'm sorry for the lack of updates last week. I'll be doing better this week! I'm excited for a new week, a new tournament, and a new opportunity to keep working towards my goals. Please keep it here for great updates along the way!

*By the way, my ultimate performance goal in golf is to be a contender year-in and year-out on the PGA Tour. Sometimes I get bogged down in the week-to-week life of the mini-tours and Qualifiers and I forget that. I reminded myself of that today. I have a great plan to achieve that goal and I am on a good path do it. I just need to stay the course and keep believing. Thank you for believing in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...