Wednesday, April 11, 2012

That's More Like It in Round 1

At 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, I was a little bit concerned about the state of my golf game. A couple of frustrating practice rounds had me scratching my head and wondering where the great feelings I have been having in my golf game had gone. A quiet and calm practice session on Tuesday evening righted the ship and had me feeling better going into Wednesday's first round of the Egolf Tour's Championship at St. James, but I still entered the round with lower expectations and a plan to be conservative and intelligent. A routine birdie at the short par-4 10th got me started on a good note, and then I hit a great shot into the water-guarded par-5 11th hole. Facing 230 yards into a stiff breeze, I hit a beautiful low three wood that landed next to the hole before settling just off the back edge of the green. An easy up and down had me off to a birdie-birdie start, and I never really looked back. My game plan for the day was to not worry about anything. I wanted to commit to a plan on every shot and not worry about the results. I was able to do that all day, and when it was all said and done, I had posted a ten-birdie, one-bogey round of 63 on the demanding Founders Course at St. James Plantation.

It really was a great round, but I am more excited about the mindset that I was able to have and keep than the score or the position that it has me in the tournament. I never once was worried about where I shot would go today. In fact, my lone bogey came because I probably took my "worry-free" approach a little to far on the par-5 fourth hole. I had 227 yards to the flag with water guarding the left side of the green. Right is a tough up and down, so I was determined to make a committed swing and hit my shot just right of the flag. I was not going to let the water steer me off course, and I made an aggressive swing, but pull-hooked the shot into the water. It was disappointing to make a bogey in that situation, but I was proud of every shot I hit today.

I am very excited about how good I felt on the golf course today. If I can maintain that mindset, I know that I can do great things. My strategy will be the same tomorrow: have an intelligent plan on every shot and then execute with no fear. No matter what happens, I will have fun from beginning to end! Come back for a good report from round 2 and follow the results at www.egolfprofessionaltour.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...