Friday, June 24, 2011

Uncharacteristic

My third round was a story of two nines, and both featured shortcomings with which I am not used to dealing. On the front nine, I hit the ball beautifully but struggled over very make-able birdie putts. Even so, I hit the ball so well that I made the turn at three under par. I was swinging great heading to the back nine, but solid pars at 10 and 11 gave way to a four-hole stretch in which I made mental mistakes and threw away a lot of shots. An uncommitted swing on the 12th tee led to a wide miss and a bogey. On the 14th hole I had an easy wedge shot but failed to trust my yardage and hit the shot over the green. My play on the par-5 15th was riddled with stupidity. I hit what I thought was a good drive but watched it leak slightly into the right rough. Facing a 205 yard carry to a green fronted by a creek, I had no good option for my second shot. My hybrid was going to fly way too far and leave me a difficult pitch from over the green, but I didn't feel like I could hit a long iron out of the rough. Rather than coming up with a good plan and executing confidently, I decided I would just flail at a hybrid and hope it worked. I decelerated and chunked the shot into the hazard fronting the green. I found my ball just outside the creek and tried to hack at it but whiffed once before determining that I needed to take my penalty and drop. A pitch and two putts later I walked off with a 7 and felt temporarily demoralized. To my credit, I had a pep talk with myself and birdied 16 and 18 on the way in to post a two-under-par score of 69 for the round. It was a disappointing score and a disappointing feeling to know that I let such poor mental mistakes cost me so many shots, but I am happy that I minimized the damage with a strong finish.

My round actually moved me up the leaderboard a couple spots. I am currently tied for 20th heading into tomorrow's final round. I need to continue to execute well and really commit to my routine on every shot. I am playing great golf right now, and a great round tomorrow could lead to a good finish in this tournament. I tee off at 8:40 tomorrow morning, and I am going to play smart, play well, and have fun. Come back in the evening for some good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...