Wednesday, June 15, 2011

First Round Struggle

I didn't have my "A" game today. I struggled off of the tee and into the greens, and my wedge play was abysmal. I rolled the ball great on the greens but didn't get many putts to go in the hole. I was very tough mentally, though, and followed my game plan all day. Despite hitting just a few quality golf shots all day, I did manage to hit all but one green in regulation and limited my damage to just one bogey. I could only scrape out two birdies, however, on the very score-able Sapona Country Club and posted a first-round score of 70 on the par 71 layout.

Golf was hard today. I felt uncomfortable over most shots, and when I would hit a good tee shot to set myself up for a wedge shot into a green, I really struggled to get the ball anywhere near the hole. I know that the work I have done on my wedge play is good, so I'm confident that today's struggles will be short-lived. In addition to struggling with my wedges, I failed to take advantage of easy birdie opportunities on Sapona's three par 5's. A misjudged chip led to a disappointing par after hitting two good shots into the par-5 first hole before errant tee shots on 14 and 18 led to two more pars on the back-nine par 5's. I just didn't hit enough good shots today to take advantage of the many birdie opportunities that Sapona offers.

With all that said, I love the feeling that comes from being mentally tough and getting through an ugly round with a decent score. I feel great about the fact that I limited my damage to only one bogey today and that I birdied two of the last five holes. After my round, I made the short drive over to the Country Club of Salisbury where I will play my second round tomorrow at 12:30 p.m., and I had a great practice session. I hit some balls and did a lot of wedge work, and I really liked how everything was feeling. Then, I spent some quality time on the practice green and knocked out two of my putting drills for the week. I left feeling very good.

My tournament round may not have been very pretty today, but I feel great about the status of my game and am in really good spirits heading into tomorrow. I really like the CC of Salisbury, and feel that if I stay committed to the same game plan and continue to enjoy myself, I can really have a great round. Come back for a round-2 report tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...