Friday, June 17, 2011

I'm Going to Play Great in Round 4

My third round play started to hint in the right direction. A few foul balls and a couple surprising short misses with the putter kept me from scoring very well in the third round, but I felt like my ball-striking was starting to feel a little bit better. I hit some pretty good shots in the last six holes today, including two perfect ones on number 9 to close with a birdie and post a third-round score of two-under-par 69. On a day when the field averaged just over 68, that wasn't very good, but I left the round feeling good about the direction my game is heading.

I still sprayed a couple of shots in the first 12 holes of my round today. I missed the fairway with a four iron off the tenth (my first) hole and made bogey. Later I blocked the four iron way right of the par-5 15th green and had to settle for par after hitting a perfect drive. Then, I missed a generous fairway on the par-4 second hole way right in a hazard, thus incurring a one-stroke penalty and bogeying the very benign hole. In addition to that, I missed a couple of easy birdie putts that I would expect to make and also missed par putts of less than five feet on back to back holes. My putting has been really solid all year and especially lately, so I'm not concerned about it, but it was frustrating to see shots slip away like that. All in all though, I feel like I played well enough to shoot a good score today, so I'm thinking that I can clean it up tomorrow and end this tournament on a high note.

I tee it up tomorrow at 9:10. I'm going to pretend that I'm in contention and play hard on every shot. It will be fun day, and I'm looking forward to playing well and getting some positive momentum going. Come back for a round-4 and tournament summary tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...