Saturday, March 12, 2011

Disappointed but Encouraged after Round 1

My ball-striking was almost very good today in the first round of the El Jadida Classic. With the exception of a couple of brain-slips with the driver, I hit the ball quite well. My iron play was very solid today, but I failed to capitalize on any of the medium-range birdie opportunities I gave myself, and my short game really let me down the few times I did find any trouble. In the end, I made four birdies and four bogeys to shoot 72 in my opening round. The course was very score-able today, so I am disappointed that I didn't chip and putt the ball well enough to shoot the good score that my ball-striking deserved. I know that my short game is solid, though, and I'm confident that I will put it all together tomorrow!

One thing that I am pleased with about my round today is my par-5 play. I hit a bad drive on the opening hole, which is a par 5, but played a couple of smart shots after my tee shot and narrowly missed a putt for birdie. On the par-5 8th hole, I hit two very good shots with a driver and a hybrid just over the back edge of the green and neatly two-putted for birdie. I hit a decent drive and a great lay-up shot on the watery par-5 11th before sticking a wedge shot within a couple feet of the hole. Finally, on the 18th, I hit a great drive and a smart three wood shot just right of the green before butchering a little pitch shot and having to settle for par. Despite a poor drive on the first hole, I was in position to birdie each of the par fives today. I need to execute much better around the greens and take advantage of my opportunities, but I am pleased with my strategy and mindset on the par fives.

I am not happy with my score today, but I know that I am moving quickly in the correct direction. My game felt good today, and I feel like I really have a chance to shoot low numbers the way that I am playing. My score today will not leave me in very good position on the leaderboard, but I still feel that I will be competing for a win before this tournament is over. I'm going to spend some time this afternoon working on my short game, and I hope to be firing on all cylinders when I tee it up for round 2 tomorrow. Come back here for another report soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...