Friday, June 28, 2013

Very Rough in Round 2, but Still in Good Shape

My second-round performance at Victoria National was not good on any account. I did hit a lot of very high quality shots, but I was erratic and made some big mistakes. My day featured a whiff from high grass right of the par-4 6th green (led to a triple bogey), a three-putt from three and a half feet (caused a double bogey on the par-4 17th), and an awful lot of nervous jitters. The triple bogey rattled my nerves, and I was not in good place mentally the rest of the day. With that said, I hit two solid shots on the difficult par-4 18th and easily two-putted for a par to post a round-2 score of 75 (+3). I currently stand at even par for the tournament and have advanced safely to the weekend. In fact, despite my crazy day on Friday, I am just seven shots behind the leader and am in good shape to make a move over the final two rounds.

Though my performance in Friday's round and the mental anxiety I allowed to affect me definitely bother me a little, I still feel very good about the state of my game and am particularly excited about the week of work I have had to this point. I feel great about the practice I have been having, and I am going to relax and let my talent shine this weekend. Great stuff is coming--come back to read about it! Thank you for following me.

1 comment:

  1. Peter,
    This is Jeff...your walking scorer from round one. Rooting for you to have a great finish on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Visible Progress

I’ve been making a lot of invisible progress lately. By that, I mean that my scores have been consistently rather stinky, but beneath that,...