Friday, June 21, 2013

Hard-earned Saturday Tee Time

My golf swing felt as good as it has in a long time during the second round at the Web.com Tour's Rex Hospital Open. That is much less than half the battle when playing tournament golf, however. An unlucky bogey on the par-5 fourth hole rattled me on Friday, and I couldn't seem to recover. I was very nervous for the remainder of my round, and it showed. My pace was awful on the greens, and I hit a few very squirrely shots with my longer clubs. I scraped and clawed and tried to stay positive and encouraged, but as I walked to the 16th hole, I was two shots outside the cut line. With my back to the wall, I committed fully to my routine, and I delivered. I hit a 7 iron close at the par-3 16th and converted a slick four foot putt for birdie. At the long par-4 17th, I hit a beautiful drive that just crept through the dogleg and into the left rough. I judged the flyer lie perfectly, however, and bounced another seven iron up to within three and a half feet of the front hole location and converted the birdie. Two solid shots led to an easy two-putt par on the closing hole, and I earned myself a Saturday morning tee time in the third round of the tournament. I am pumped about the gutsy way I finished in round two, but more importantly, I am feeling confident about my game and am ready to take care of business over the weekend. Keep it here for good news from the next two rounds. Thank you for keeping up with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...