Thursday, July 12, 2012

Good Score in Round 2

I felt great about my game heading into the second round of this week's Egolf event. Playing at the easy  (but very good) Country Club of Salisbury, I birdied two of the first three holes to validate the good feelings. I never really got into much of a rhythm, however, and even though I hit a lot of good shots, I had to work hard for some pars and didn't make another birdie until I hit a great four iron close at the par-3 ninth. Another birdie on the tenth could have really sparked a great back nine, but, once again, I couldn't string together enough good shots to get any momentum rolling. I misjudged a "flyer" lie from just off of the fairway at the par-4 twelfth hole and suffered my only bogey of the day. My next couple of tee shots were a bit wayward and added some stress to my day, but I stayed relatively calm and recovered very well from tricky spots left of the thirteenth and fifteenth fairways. My putter came alive in the final four holes as I rolled in putts of 15, 20, and 12 feet for birdies and made a five footer to save par in between the last two birdies. At the end of the day it was a six-under-par round of 65. That is a good score and I am very happy with, but my game actually felt better during my opening-round 70 at Irish Creek. I head back to Irish Creek for the final two rounds on Friday and Saturday, and I'm hopeful that I can combine the quality feelings I got from my first round with the positive scoring I was able to produce in round 2. If I am able to do that, it will be a great weekend. I'm in a decent position to make a move, and I am ready to play well. I am going to be focused and relaxed, and I am going to have a great time! Come back for more news after each of the final two rounds. Thank you for keeping up with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Close Calls and More Progress

I'm playing good golf, and it's really fun! I haven't been able to put enough consistently good play together yet to have a good...