Thursday, February 9, 2012

Tough Matches this Week

As I prepare for my first tournament of the year next week, I have been trying to play a lot of competitive rounds lately. So far this week, I have had two matches at Holston Hills, and both have been great battles. I am very encouraged because I have been hitting the ball better and am starting to feel good about my ball-striking. Ironically, my short game and wedge play, which have been great and saved me in some recent matches, have been a little bit cold so far this week. I am not really hitting bad wedge shots or putting the ball badly, but I haven't been making any medium to long-range putts and have been off just enough on my short wedge shots to keep them from getting close to the hole so far this week. On Tuesday in great weather, I shot a 69 to sneak out a five dollar victory and shot a 73 in some cold and breezy conditions on Wednesday and got clipped for seven bucks. Though I hate getting beat, I am pleased with the status of my game. I don't feel like there are problems with my short game at all, and my ball-striking has really started to come around lately. I know that as I continue to fine-tune things, I am getting closer and closer to playing great!

My practice this week has mirrored my play in the two matches. I have not felt sharp with my short game or putting work, but neither have I felt like anything is wrong. I have worked very hard to get through a couple putting drills and even harder to complete a couple hours of proximity drills around the greens. I know that my hard work is paying off, and I feel like my short game and putting are going to be better this year than they have ever been.

I'm hoping to have at least one more competitive round this week and also to play on a new course in our area just for fun. It will be nice to hit some shots on a course that I am not used to seeing. I feel like things are coming together nicely, but I definitely need to have a strong rest of the week to make sure that I securely have that "lovin' feeling" heading to Hilton Head Island next week. Keep it here for more updates. Thank you for following and for rooting for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...