Thursday, February 16, 2012

Round 2: Strong Finish

I had a great day leading up to my 12:10 tee time in today's second round. I had a very efficient practice session in the morning and really felt good about my game. Poor weather was in the forecast for the afternoon, but I was thoroughly prepared for it mentally and in terms of having the proper equipment. All-in-all, I walked to the tee feeling like it would be a great round. I striped a perfect tee shot on the 10th (my first) hole, and thought that I was off and running. Seven holes and one very brief but annoying rain cloud later, I had hit a lot of good shots, but stood at one over par for my round and was scratching my head a bit. I was determined to continue playing one shot a time and committing fully to a good plan on each shot. I finally rolled in a birdie putt on the par-3 17th (my 8th) hole, and that got me going. Counting that birdie, I played my final 11 holes in 5 under par today to shoot a four-under-par score of 68. It was a solid score on a demanding course, and it has me back in the middle of this tournament.

I must admit that I wasn't pleased with my thought process for a while today. As I watched some good shots not turn out great in the early going and missed some make-able birdie putts, the cut-line began to weigh heavily on my mind. I was able to overcome those thoughts, though, and continued to execute good shots all day. I definitely hope that in the future I can stay in the present well enough to not let the cut-line affect my thoughts, but I am pleased with the way I battled that distraction today.

My game really feels good. I definitely still hit a few loose shots here and there, but I feel that consistency is slowly developing in my game. In addition to that, I feel like I am continuing to become stronger mentally. I really expect to be playing great golf very soon. I'm excited to have two more days here at Palmetto Hall in the year's opening event to keep improving. If I can build on the success that I have had the last two days, this weekend could get very exciting. Keep it here for a report from round 3 tomorrow and follow the results at: www.egolfprofessionaltour.com. Thank you for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...