Saturday, April 3, 2010

Change and Progress

I've had a great and productive week off from competition. My time at Callaway Gardens was good as I got to play both of the golf courses down there and get in some quality practice while also relaxing with some great friends. Then, in the past three days at home, I've been able to have very productive practices at two of my home facilities and spend some time with my long-time instructor Bobbo while mixing in a lot of good time with my family and my girlfriend, Alicia. The past week has me feeling better both physically and mentally, and I'm as hungry as ever to get back to competition.

The first day I was home, I made the biggest change to my putting that I have made in quite some time. I have always tried to be as "un-mechanical" as possible with my putting stroke, but for some reason, my stroke had become very inside-out, and I was actually hitting my putts from inside the line with a closed putter-face. This is not an easily repeatable way to hit putts. I have known about this problem for the better part of the last two months, but have not known how to fix it. With one look, Bobbo saw that my right hand had worked its way too far under the grip and was becoming very involved in my takaway. Though I felt like my shoulders were controlling the stroke, the position of my right hand was allowing it to be way too involved in my putting motion. So I took the "fat" grip off of my putter and put on a standard diameter one and have gotten my right hand back on top of the grip. The results feel great. I'm hitting putts much more solidy and hitting my line with greater consistency. It's still a new feeling for sure, but a lot of practice this week has it feeling good already. I'm pumped about the change and know that it is going to be a good one for me!

I've continued to try and keep my thoughts simple with the rest of my game. I'm still not hitting it perfectly, but I love the way I feel when I'm playing right now! I need to get better with my wedges. My wedge play and chipping have been average to below-average all year, and that needs to change. I'm confident that that, too, is moving in the right direction.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening to start the trip out to Southport, North Carolina, for next week's Tarheel Tour event at St. James Plantation. The event starts Wednesday. I have found a member at the club who has volunteered to host me, and I'm excited about that. Come to think of it, I'm just all-around excited for the coming week! I feel good, my game feels good, and I feel like good things are coming my way!

Check back here for practice-round reports and to hear about the golf courses this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...