Saturday, April 10, 2010

Yuck Today... Yay Tomorrow!

Well, I played lousy in my first "final round" on the Tarheel Tour. I was birdie-less, and hit a lot of putts on my way to a rather miserable 79. From the get-go, it just seemed like things weren't going to go well for me. For the first seven holes, I made just one bad swing--a 30-yard block onto someone's porch off of the 11th (my 2nd) tee--but was three-over-par. I guess a few bad breaks and missed birdie putts from close range discouraged me because my game went south quickly after those opening seven holes. I struggled to hit the ball solidly and putted very poorly. All-in-all, it was just bad golf on the weekend. After making my first cut, I beat only one person and finished T74th. Bad golf. Bad finish. Bad paycheck.

With that said, what an encouraging thing to have earned a paycheck for the first time in a while! Sure, it was not enough to recover even my entry fee for the event, but it definitely was a step in the right direction. I played some really good golf in round one and had some really good stretches in the second round. I know that I have it in me to be successful out here. I'm just not quite firing on all cylinders YET.

After the round today, my very gracious host for the week wanted to play a little golf. He asked if I'd like to join him on one of the other courses here at St. James Plantation. We hopped in a golf cart and played 18 holes in two hours, and I played so well. Without a care in the world, I shaped shots left and right like an artist and hit wedges perfectly just eyeing the yardages. It was great and fun. Despite continued woes with the putter, I shot an effortless 69 this afternoon with my host. It was a gentle pat-on-the-back reminder that I am very close to where I want to be.

I definitely need to sharpen all aspects of my game. I have to drive the ball better, and I have to find that lovin' feelin' with the putter. Perhaps most importantly, I need to find that fine line between relaxed and careless and learn to walk on it when I'm playing golf. I truly don't think I'm far from being back on top of my game. I'm going to get better at all three of those things this coming week.

After much deliberation, I signed up for the Monday Qualifier for the Nationwide Tour's South Georgia Classic which will take place a week from this coming Monday in Valdosta, GA. My game is not where I want it to be right now, but I know that in an 18-hole qualifier, I can get it done. I feel like a week from now I will have my game in a position where I am ready to do just that!

I'm heading home tomorrow and will start a week of really good practice. Check back here for a couple of practice reports leading into my first Monday Qualifier of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...