Thursday, April 8, 2010

Bad Golf, Good Fight in Round 2

I didn't play very well in the second round. The Reserve Course at St. James Plantation bit me in the butt a little bit. I drove it into a lot of trouble a few times, hit some lousy iron shots and misjudged a putt or two, but I battled hard all day and managed to shoot a 76 in slightly blustery and difficult conditions. This left me at +4 for the tournament and safely below the +5 cut line. So I will be playing a weekend for the first time this year on the Tarheel Tour. I'm excited for that, and glad that my game is continuing to feel better each week.

My round today was weird. I started solidly, hitting the first three fairways and playing the first four holes in one-under-par. Then I snarf-hooked a drive into a hazard on the fifth hole and made a double bogey. A few holes later a similar shot with a three wood off the tee led to another penalty drop and a bogey. A poor wedge on nine and another hooked drive on ten led to two more bogeys and had me at three-over-par for the day. I composed myself on the the 11th tee and was determined to get control of my round. Three perfect shots on the 11th led to a birdie, and then my putter went to work saving pars for me in blustery conditions on each of the next four holes. I bogeyed two of my last three to shoot 76, but the two bogeys were more the result of misjudged wind than anything else. I'm proud of the way I was able to salvage a decent round when it seemed to be getting away from me there in the middle of the day.

I'm currently at +4 and tied for 51st. The leader is at -7, but only ten players managed to better par for the first 36 holes. I tee off on the the 10th hole at the Founders Club at 9:20 tomorrow for my third round, and I feel like I'm going to make a positive move! I'm going to commit to every shot, trust my game, and have fun tomorrow!! I think that will result in a good score!


No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...