Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Drat

Well, I guess that breakthrough round of the year is coming tomorrow. I really feet good about the way I played today, but I have nothing but a lousy 76 on a fairly easy golf course to show for it. That's not really true--I honestly do have a lot of good feelings to remember from the round I played today even though the end result is definitely a disappointment.

I was determined to play intelligently aggressive today on the short but tight layout at River Hills Country Club. I feel like I had a good game plan, and I executed that plan well more often than not. On the front nine, I hit most of the fairways and greens, but missed a couple of good birdie opportunities and made the turn at even-par. I then hit two perfect shots on the tenth hole--a short par-five with a pond fronting the green. I hit a long drive for me and then a perfect punch five iron onto the green about 12 feet from the hole. I hit my line perfectly on the eagle putt, but the ball slid just past the hole on the right. I tapped in for my birdie and proceeded to hit another great five iron on the par-three 11th. The shot ended up 15 feet directly behind the hole, and another good putt narrowly missed. All that to say that I was really feeling great moving to the 12th hole. I made a poor swing at my driver on the tee and watched it rattle around in the trees before ending up out of bounds in somebody's back yard. I still felt good moving forward from that, but just didn't get anything to go right the rest of the way. A few great shots were nullified by missed putts, and I just ran out of holes to get it turned around today.

The good news is I've got a full round to get it heading the right direction tomorrow. I know this sounds like a broken record, but I like the way I'm playing right now. I'm hitting the ball well and my wedge play is on the brink of being great. I definitely need to find that lovin' feeling with the putter, but I'm never more than a couple holed putts away from that happening.

I don't play until 1:20 in the afternoon tomorrow. I'm going to do some practicing this evening, and a little more of the same in the morning. I will also relax a little bit and be fully ready to go tomorrow afternoon. My game is good. My scores are going to show it! Check here for good news from round two!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...