Saturday, April 23, 2011

Poor Final Round, Positive Signs Moving Forward

I didn't play well this weekend. After sitting in a tie for 6th place at 10 under par through two rounds, I could muster only matching rounds of one-under-par 71 on Friday and Saturday. In today's final round, I was just a little off all around. I missed a lot of fairways, hit a lot of mediocre iron shots, and was much less solid with the putter than I had been the previous three rounds. I wasn't far off in any area, but I wasn't good enough to make very many birdies, and I did miss a couple of par putts from inside of five feet to drop a couple shots on the back nine. I am disappointed not have finished better in this event, but I still feel very good about my game.

One very positive thing from today's final round was the return of my short game touch. I have really been struggling with my chipping a lot--particularly hitting any kind of high, soft-landing shots around the greens--but was very effective today on four different occasions hitting some high softies off of tight bermuda fairways. I know that I am a great chipper and that my short game is one of my biggest strengths, so it was very nice to see some good results in that area of my game.

I still feel great about my game. I definitely need to work hard to be more consistent with my driver and must continue to sharpen my wedge play, but I feel like I am capable of playing well on any course right now. I'm very excited to start chasing my number one goal for the year this coming week when I tee it up on Monday in the Monday Qualifier for the Nationwide Tour's South Georgia Classic in Valdosta. I am about to hit the road to start the journey from Columbia, SC, to Valdosta where I will play a practice round tomorrow at the qualifying course before teeing it up on Monday morning with a spot in my first Nationwide Tour event of the year on the line. My game is good, and I know that I have both the fire power and the patience that it takes to be successful in Monday Qualifiers.

I'll give you an update from the qualifying site tomorrow evening. Great things are coming, so keep up with it all right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...