Thursday, March 29, 2012

So Close to Playing Well

My game feels good, but my scores are still just hanging around that "mediocre-at-best" category. Today in the second round of the Egolf Tour's River Run Classic, I feel like my execution was pretty good most of the day, but all I have to show for it is a round of even-par 72 and an early final round tee time on Friday.

The fact that I have a tee time at all for the third and final round is exciting, though. I hit both of the only two shots that I would call very poor today on the 13th hole and suffered a double bogey. That dropped me back to even par for the event with a very daunting five-hole finish ahead of me. I was determined to remember my new attitude and remained fairly upbeat. After making an important par-saving putt at the par-3 14th, I made easy pars on 15 and 16 and stepped to the tee of the demanding par-3 17th still at even par for the tournament. I had 194 yards downhill to a flag cut just over a bunker in the front right portion of the green. The shot was probably playing about ten yards less than the yardage for the downhill, so I decided to be aggressive and try to hit a hard six iron. I committed to the shot and hit one of the best irons I can remember in a long while. The ball nestled some 4 feet behind the hole, and I made the putt for a birdie. A closing par at the risk-reward par-5 18th left me feeling disappointed with my score but proud of my execution and excited for the opportunity to play in the final round.

I'm on the brink of playing great golf. I need to shoot a very low round sometime soon to get my year rolling. Maybe tomorrow will be the day! Either way, I'm going to continue to enjoy myself and keep getting better. Come back for a final-round report tomorrow evening. Thank you for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...