Monday, March 19, 2012

Ready to Report on Last Week; Pumped Moving Forward

For the first time in my professional golf career, I was too disappointed to write anything positive on my blog last Thursday evening. Despite feeling great about the way I was playing and having a lot of confidence, I got uncomfortable and tense in some key spots during the second round of last week's tournament and suffered a second-round score of two-over-par 74 to fall just outside of the cutline. After a great weekend of practice, I can look back on it now and see that my physical skills were actually pretty sharp in last week's tournament and be encouraged by that. In all reality, I executed about 90% of my shots well last week, but I made a few major errors and got a little bit too uptight at some inopportune times and those mistakes cost me. I sound like a broken record with this, but I really do need to relax and just go enjoy myself during these tournament rounds. I honestly feel like I'm playing the best golf of my life right now, and instead of letting that fuel my confidence, I am using it to put more pressure on myself. This past week was an eye-opener that has finally let me see for certain that I am trying too hard to force success on the golf course rather than just enjoying myself and letting it happen. I had a great three days of practice over the weekend and am very excited to keep moving forward.

After my second round was over last Thursday, I was determined that I would not waste any time sulking despite my disappointment. After grabbing a quick bite to eat, I went out for a good practice session after my round and that set the tone for a very solid weekend. I practiced at Pine Needles on Thursday and Friday and then spent the weekend with some friends in Charlotte. During that time, I had some great practice sessions and workouts and was able to complete all of my process goals (+ a few extras) for the week. I also had some really good matches on Saturday and Sunday in Charlotte. I really enjoyed myself on the course over the weekend, and the results showed it. My game looked and felt great! I need to take the attitude that I'm just beatin' up on my buddies to tournament rounds with me. I love to play golf, and I especially love to play tournament golf. I am going to have fun and smile every time I tee it up in tournament play from now on.

I will be taking this week off from competition because my college roommate for three years and one of my closest friends is getting married in St. Louis, MO. I missed another of my best friend's wedding last spring to play an event, and I have regretted it. As much as I want to play in this week's tournament, I know that being in my friend's wedding is the right choice, and I will enjoy my short trip to St. Louis this week. With that said, this will be one of my most challenging weeks of practice. It is a non-tournament week which means that my process goals are fairly laborious, but I am determined to get them done. I have three full days in Tennessee before heading to the midwest on Thursday. I will also be able to sneak in some practice in St. Louis on Friday/Saturday. I will have a great week of work, and will be even more ready to go when next week rolls around. The Egolf Tour plays it's first shorter, 54-hole event of the year next week just north of Charlotte at a course called River Run. My preparation this week combined with a new and improved attitude will have me ready to go!

The golf season is really about to start flowing here soon. It is a very exciting time, and I'm pumped to have a new perspective and to have my game in such great shape. Obviously the year is off to a slower start than I had hoped, but I am not concerned. I am going to have a great week of work this week and then hit the tournament trail with a big smile on my face next week and get my 2012 rolling! Keep it here for updates along the way. Thank you very much for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...