Monday, August 1, 2011

Solid Play, Extremely Frustrating Results

There are a lot of very good things to report from my round today in the Monday Qualifier, but unfortunately I have to hurry up and get on the road so I can catch a flight to the Carolinas for this week's Egolf Event. I will say this, however: I played my second consecutive bogey-free round in competition today and played solid golf in doing so. I made five birdies and thirteen pars for a round of 67. My short game and putting were very good. My wedge play, on which I worked extensively last week, felt good but yielded only mediocre results. I can tell that I am swinging my wedges well, though, and am confident that great results will follow. So the end result today was that I was in a six man playoff for the final two spots and made par on the first three playoff holes and failed to earn my spot in the field. It was another bummer, but I still feel like I am playing well.

One more positive story before I hit the road: I came to the 18th hole at four under par for the day and had a pretty good notion that it would take at least five to qualify. Facing a medium length par-5 with tough bunkers down both sides of the fairway, I striped a perfect tee shot, hit a decent three wood just short and right of the green, hit a beautiful soft pitch out of the rough to four feet, and buried the putt in the middle. In the end, I didn't get the job done today, but that finish felt good!

I'm going to ride today's good play into this week's Egolf Event in South Carolina. A quick flight or two tomorrow morning and I'll be there and be more than ready to go for the first round on Wednesday. Today was a bummer, but it's still going to be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...