Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Shaky Start but Feeling Good in South Carolina

After a crazy day-and-a-half of travel, I arrived in the little town of Ninety-Six, South Carolina, at about 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon. A very quick practice round at the Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor, the host course for this week's Egolf event, was a nice tune-up for the tournament, and then I teed it up at that course at 7:50 this morning for my first round of play. Despite having a great morning and feeling pretty good, I really struggled early. I wasn't hitting the ball very solidly, missed a green from 94 yards in the middle of the fairway, and hit two very poor five-foot putts in the early part of my round. Through eight holes today, I had made one bogey and seven pars on a course that was ripe for the taking. My game never did return to consistently good form today, but I hit enough good shots and stayed very positive which allowed me to play my final ten holes in four under par for a three-under-par opening round of 69. On a day when scoring was absolutely great, this round wasn't what I was looking for, but I am extremely pleased with what I was able to get from a round in which I didn't have my best game.

A short practice and a lot of rest this afternoon led me into a very productive evening session at the event's co-host, the Golf Club at Star Fort. I played the course last year, but really did not remember it well at all, so this evening I walked the course and took a lot of mental notes that I think will help me tomorrow when I play the second round there. I also did some good work on the practice green and feel ready to go for tomorrow.

I tee off at 8:40 tomorrow morning, and I really feel like I am ready to play a great round. Come back tomorrow to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up on a Positive Last Month

I've been too busy playing golf tournaments and working on my game to update my blog! That's really not true, but I have been keepin...