Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Crazy Start to the Year

I am not thrilled to report that I made four bogeys and a double bogey today in my first round of the year, but I am quite excited about the fact that I also made seven birdies and an eagle. I have never believed in myself more than I did today, and I turned what was an awful start into a great 3-under-par opening round of 69.

After a par on the easy first hole on the Cupp Course, I went bogey, double-bogey, bogey on the next three holes to stand at 4 over par through four holes. I know that at this time last year, I would have been quite distraught by my start, but I honestly wasn't too bothered by it today, and I was determined to stay positive and play well. On the par-five sixth hole, I bombed a drive and hit a great hybrid from 224 yards to a green protected by a pond and made the 12-foot putt for eagle. I quickly gave one of those shots back with a disappointing bogey at the 7th hole but went on a tear starting at the par-four 9th. From the 9th hole through the 17th, I made seven birdies and two pars. During that stretch, I hit the ball fairly well and was definitely on with my wedges and putter. Unfortunately, I hit a very sloppy iron shot into a pond short of the 18th green from just 134 yards away in the middle of the fairway. Again, I just continued to believe in myself and calmly got up-and-down from 50 yards for my bogey. I made a lot of mistakes today, but my moments of good outshone the bad. I felt relaxed, confident, and happy all day, and the results followed my attitude.

I tee it up at 8:00 a.m. in tomorrow's second round, and I expect more good play without many of the mistakes of round 1. I know it will be fun again. Check back here for some good news in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...