Sunday, May 2, 2010

Holy McIlroy

I witnessed one of the greatest non-major rounds ever today. I was fortunate enough to watch the Quail Hollow Championship in person on Sunday, and because Jim Furyk and Bill Haas proved a rather boring twosome to watch, I dropped back and followed Rory McIlroy and Anthony Kim from the second hole on. McIlroy shot 62, and went from a four-stroke deficit at the beginning of the day to a four-shot victory in the end. What a great performance it was!

After the round, I couldn't help but thinking that during the second round in my tournament this past week, I was six under par through 12 holes. McIlroy was only five under through 12 today. Clearly he had no mental block whatsoever about going low. He just kept the gas pedal down and ran away with the tournament. I don't feel like I have a mental block, either, and I really feel like my day to right that story for myself is coming soon. It was cool to watch, but it will be infinitely better to do!!

I have had a couple of really nice practice sessions since the disheartening ending to last week's tournament. Ballstriking-wise, I'm not really working on anything. I am just trying to swing in good balance with nice rhythm. Everything feels great. My wedge play and chipping are steadily improving and feel very close to being where they need to be, and my putting is really coming along. I'm working on a new strategy with my green reading at the moment. While I've always looked at putts from multiple angles before addressing the ball, the line I see once I get over the ball has always been the read to which I give the most weight. Lately I feel like I've been hitting a lot of good putts but making nothing; therefore, I'm working right now on picking an aiming point before I address the ball and trusting it regardless of what I see over the ball. I don't think I will read putts this way for long, but it is definitely a good strategy for me right now. I'm going to putt the ball great again very soon!

I'm heading north tomorrow to the northern side of Charlotte for another Tarheel Tour event. My game felt great this past week, so I'm hoping that that will continue and the putter will get hot. I truly feel ready to be at the top of the leaderboard in one of these things. This might be the week! Stay tuned for practice round reports and course information!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...