Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bad Finish but Good Golf in Round 2

I played great in the second round today at Northstone Country Club. I drove the ball very well, hit a lot of very good iron shots, and, for the most part, putted nicely. I double bogeyed the last hole of the day to finish with a two-under-par round of 70. I played much better than that, but my seven-under-par total through two rounds has me in a nice position to make a great move on the weekend.

I played so well today. I really did not hit any bad shots until the 14th fairway where I chunked a pitching wedge from 118 yards in the middle of the fairway. This shot and a lack of commitment on the ensuing four-foot putt for par led to my first bogey of the tournament. I recovered with a nice birdie on the 16th hole and a good par on the difficult par-three 17th. Then I walked to the 18th tee, which is the most demanding tee shot on the entire course. I had considered playing conservatively off of the tee, but decided instead to trust myself and rip the driver. I committed and smoked it right down the center of the fairway, leaving myself just 130 yards for my second shot. With a wedge in my hand, I proceeded to completely butcher the hole. A bad shot, and poor chip, and three putts later, I was done with my second round. A disappointing end but I can't let that erase the great feelings the round had me feeling all along.

My game is good. If I can be patient and not try to force anything this weekend, I really feel like I'm going to play well and move up the leaderboard. I tee it up at 8:10 tomorrow morning at Cowan's Ford Country Club. I'm going play patient, play well, and have fun! Check back here for some good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...