Friday, February 15, 2013

Early Exit from Event #1

I won't say much for now, but I do want to give a quick report from round 2 of this week's eGolf tournament at Palmetto Hall in Hilton Head, South Carolina. I had a fantastic morning leading into my afternoon tee time for the second round, and I hit two nice shots into the opening hole to start my round with a birdie. I felt like it was really going to be a great day for me. I wasn't correct. I hit a poor long iron shot into the difficult par-4 third and was disappointed when my six-foot putt for par wiggled out of the hole. For some reason that bogey really rattled me. All of the positive feelings I had from my morning and my solid offseason of work left me for a little while, and I felt nervous and uncomfortable over most of my shots for the next few holes. The seventh hole on the Cupp Course at Palmetto Hall is probably the tightest driving hole I'll play all year, and my nervousness didn't combine well with the trouble-laden, narrow fairway. Though I had been swinging my driver beautifully up to that point in the tournament. I blew two balls out of play on the right side of the hole and suffered a quadruple-bogey 8. I battled hard after that, and actually had myself back in position to make the cut before a bogey, bogey finish dropped me to a 76 (+4) for my second round and 3 over par for the week. I will now have the weekend off, which is never a good thing in my business. I'm disappointed because I feel like my game was in good shape heading into this event, but clearly I wasn't mentally ready for the challenges that present themselves during tournament play just yet. My game is not far off, and I'll have a solid weekend of practice. Hopefully I'll feel more comfortable next week as the eGolf Tour stays here near Hilton Head for an event at Oldfield Golf Club. Come back for a practice report later this weekend and a more thorough summary from tournament week #1. Thank you very much for keeping up with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...