Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Round 1 of the Carolinas Pro Golf Tour Event at Cowan's Ford

I would have been excited to tee it up this week even if I were playing an event with a small and week field, but the Carolinas Pro Tour field this week is neither. I am pumped about this tournament. After playing a solid practice round at Cowan's Ford Country Club on Tuesday, I was feeling great for my afternoon tee time in Wednesday's first round. I opened with a birdie on the short par-5 first hole but followed that with two pars for a pretty mundane start. Birdies on five of the next six holes, however, got me to six under par at the round's half way point, and I felt like I could keep it rolling. I maintained a fairly high level of play on the back nine, too, but unfortunately did not continue to get the ball in the hole nearly as efficiently. I hit two bad shots on the back nine par threes, and suffered a bogey each time. Despite some very good iron shots, I could muster only one back-nine birdie and had to settle for a round of five-under-par 67. I am pleased with how everything felt, but it is definitely disappointing to feel like I squandered a chance for a very low score. I am still incredibly excited to be competing and cannot wait to tee it up again in the second round of this 36-hole event.

Others in the field did not squander the opportunity to shoot a low score. There was a 61 in the first round, and a full nine players in the 56-man field shot 66 or better. Scoring was incredible. I feel like I can post a very good number in round 2, though, and I plan to do that. Come back late Thursday evening for a final-round report. Hopefully I'll have some exciting stories to share! Thank you for following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...