Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Round 1 of the Carolinas Pro Golf Tour Event at Cowan's Ford

I would have been excited to tee it up this week even if I were playing an event with a small and week field, but the Carolinas Pro Tour field this week is neither. I am pumped about this tournament. After playing a solid practice round at Cowan's Ford Country Club on Tuesday, I was feeling great for my afternoon tee time in Wednesday's first round. I opened with a birdie on the short par-5 first hole but followed that with two pars for a pretty mundane start. Birdies on five of the next six holes, however, got me to six under par at the round's half way point, and I felt like I could keep it rolling. I maintained a fairly high level of play on the back nine, too, but unfortunately did not continue to get the ball in the hole nearly as efficiently. I hit two bad shots on the back nine par threes, and suffered a bogey each time. Despite some very good iron shots, I could muster only one back-nine birdie and had to settle for a round of five-under-par 67. I am pleased with how everything felt, but it is definitely disappointing to feel like I squandered a chance for a very low score. I am still incredibly excited to be competing and cannot wait to tee it up again in the second round of this 36-hole event.

Others in the field did not squander the opportunity to shoot a low score. There was a 61 in the first round, and a full nine players in the 56-man field shot 66 or better. Scoring was incredible. I feel like I can post a very good number in round 2, though, and I plan to do that. Come back late Thursday evening for a final-round report. Hopefully I'll have some exciting stories to share! Thank you for following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Close Calls and More Progress

I'm playing good golf, and it's really fun! I haven't been able to put enough consistently good play together yet to have a good...