Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Good Signs


I'm already seeing the benefits that good, focused practice can have on my golf game. In a match yesterday Holston Hills Country Club (number 5 pictured) in misty and windy conditions, my short game and putting were very sharp, and they allowed me to overcome some inconsistent driving of the ball to shoot a seven-birdie, one-bogey round of 66. I won my match, but more importantly, gained a lot of confidence from seeing the hard work that I've been putting into my short game and putting yield strong results.

I am off to a great start in terms of my practice this week, too. I had a very efficient afternoon of practice on Monday in which I had a quick chipping session, worked with Bobbo on the driving range for an hour and a half, and completed both my 3-foot putt drill and my 9-hole lag drill. Then, after my match on Tuesday, I set up my 6-foot putt drill at Holston Hills. That is my hardest putting drill anyway, but add in a blustery wind, and it becomes a very tough test. It takes a lot of commitment to hit confident putts in gusty winds, but after falling just short of my goal the first time around, I nailed it the second time. In fact, I made 19 of 24 six footers--one better than the requirement.

The week is still young, and I have a lot of short game work to do, but I am excited about the progress I've already made. The weather looks like it is going to cooperate for me to have a strong rest of the week, so I'm looking forward to more improvements. I should be able to have
more matches, too, so I'll be able to keep testing my game under at least semi-competitive conditions. Keep it here for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...