Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Time for a W!

I have played a pair of practice rounds for this week's Tarheel Tour event in Kannapolis, North Carolina, and I am feeling ready to go. Tomorrow I play the Warrior Golf Club for my first round before heading to the event's host course, the Club at Irish Creek, for the second round on Thursday. I play at 8:30 tomorrow morning and then will be at 12:40 Thursday afternoon.

Warrior is a good golf course. While it is fairly short and has greens that are fairly soft and not overly fast, plenty of difficulty exists to keep it interesting. Tree-lined fairways and very long bermuda rough make hitting tee shots in the fairway important, but I should be able to go low as long as I do that. The greens are very undulating, so it is important to be able to control approach shots so as to hit the correct section on the greens in order to have good looks at birdies. I feel like I have a good plan for playing each hole out there tomorrow and really expect to hit a lot of fairways and greens and capitalize with a lot of birdies and a really good score.

Irish Creek is a great golf course. With a few tight exceptions, it is fairly forgiving off of the tee, but most of the fairways are well protected with bunkers and some decent rough. The greens are all very unique and have enough slope to make them very challenging. The short front nine offers a lot of good birdie looks, but the back nine seldom yields less than a medium iron into any green and will present a fun challenge. My iron play was very very solid today, and the club at Irish Creek will give me a chance to show that off this week.

I'm really playing nicely right now. I think if I can stay in the present and execute a wise strategy fearlessly over every shot, I should be in contention late this week. I'm going to get it started tomorrow! Check back here for a good report!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...