Friday, July 23, 2010

Confidence-Boosting Step Backwards in Round 3

The seeming contradiction in this blog post's title is an accurate description of my third round today at Forest Oaks. I really felt good and struck the ball beautifully for most of the day, but missed putt after putt after putt from very make-able distances for birdies. My only holes under par were two par fives where I was able to hit the green in two. I made an eagle, a birdie, and a pair of lousy par-3 bogeys for a one-under-par round of 71. This score dropped me back down the leaderboard into a tie for 27th, but I really feel great about the way I'm playing and about my chances to fire a very good score tomorrow!

Today's round looked very solid from the start. I missed mid-range birdie putts on the first three holes before rolling a thirty footer for eagle in the hole on the fourth. Then, I had birdie putts inside ten feet on four of the next five holes but could not make one of them. I also bogeyed the par-3 8th after a poor tee shot. The back nine saw more of the same with missed opportunity after missed opportunity as I swapped a three-putt bogey on the 13th hole with a two-putt birdie on the 18th. The round left me thinking what could have been, but now all I'm thinking is what CAN BE tomorrow!

I tee it up at 8:10 on the first hole and will be playing with one of my good friends, John Kelly. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and know that my practice on the putting green after my round today has me ready to go shoot a great score in the final round. Check back here for a final round update. It's going to be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...