Tuesday, July 6, 2010

No PGA Tour Event, but Feeling Good!

I played in my first Monday Qualifier for a PGA Tour event yesterday. This week's PGA event is the John Deere Classic in the Quad Cities area of Illinois and Iowa. The qualifier took place at a course called Pinnacle Country Club--a fun course which was fairly short and tight with a lot of doglegs and extremely firm and undulating greens. Combined with blustery winds yesterday, the course was actually quite a good test. There were about 80 of us yesterday playing for four spots in the tournament, so I knew that I would have to play well, but I really felt good about my game and my chances.

I teed off in the first group of the day at 7:30 and striped a drive down the fairway of the par-five first hole. Three very average shots following that drive left me tapping in for par on the easy opening hole. That would set up a trend for my day. I played great golf, but never took advantage of the par fives all day. In fact, my only bogey of the day would come on a par five and I never made a birdie on any of them. I played the other 14 holes very solidly with two birdies and no bogeys, but playing the four par fives in one over par killed me. My total of one-under-par 71 came up three shots short of qualifying. 68 got in without a playoff.

While I wish I was playing a practice round today for the John Deere Classic, I'm still excited by the way I played. My game feels good and I know that I can play at a level to get myself into TOUR events. I'm going to carry that confidence back to the Tarheel Tour with me as I head back East later this week to start getting ready for next week's Tarheel event in Kannapolis, North Carolina. I think it's about time for a win, and I really believe that it could happen in the next couple weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...