Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Round 1

Well, after feeling really good heading into round 1 of this week's Tarheel Tour event, my performance on the first day was surprisingly bad. I'll start by saying that I am very proud of the fact that I got back on my game plan late in the round and that I did manage to finish with three birdies in my last five holes to shoot a two-under-par round of 69, but all in all my game looked terrible today at Warrior Golf Club.

I was a little bit out of sync all day and just couldn't seem to find the rhythm that has been so natural for me the last few weeks. My shots were flying every which way, and I just couldn't seem to get it back on track. Even the closing five holes were not characterized by a lot of great shots, just well-planned ones that were executed well enough to give myself some good chances at birdie. I rolled in a twenty foot putt on the 14th hole before hitting a good sand wedge to about six feet for birdie on the next. I made that putt and then finally took advantage of a par five two holes later at the 17th when I played a conservative four iron to the back of the green and two-putted for a birdie.

It is really cool that I was able to shoot 69 today. It could have been a lot higher given how out of control I felt at times. I lost my patience for a while, but did regain it in time to have a successful finish to a lousy round. Now I've set myself up to get back in position with a good round tomorrow.

A good afternoon of practice has me feeling ready to go tomorrow. In all honesty, I never did find my proper rhythm even on the range afterwards today, but I know that it will return tomorrow. I tee it up at 12:40 tomorrow afternoon at the Club at Irish Creek. I'm excited to go play a great round!

**Next week the Tarheel Tour is heading up I-85 to Greensboro, NC. Does anyone know anybody in Greensboro that might want to host me (or me and another player) for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...