Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mission Almost Accomplished in Round 1

My goals were to commit to every single shot and to enjoy the entirety of the round on day one of this week's Tarheel Tour event. With the exception of a few mentally weak moments, I achieved both goals. I relaxed and enjoyed myself, and for the most part, I played nicely.

I can sum up my round like this: mediocre to lousy driving, good iron play, decent short game, and streaky putting. It all resulted in a one-over-par 72 to start the event. Not a great score, but certainly a round that leaves me with a chance to get myself into contention in the coming rounds.

I'm still just not quite comfortable over the driver. I hit some really good drives today, but I also hit enough poor ones to let me know that I'm not in a good rhythm yet. My iron play today was as good as it has been in a while. I was trying to work the ball a little bit, and I hit a few really nice little fades into a couple of right pins on some par threes. It was fun! On the greens, I'm a little bit lost right now. I just don't have a whole lot of belief in my stroke. I was able to turn my brain off on the course today and just let my instincts roll a few good par-saving putts into the hole, but I really do not feel right over the putter right now.

Golf is a funny game, though. Sometimes you find success when you least expect it. I honestly believe that if I stick with the same game plan of committing to each shot and enjoying myself on the course, that I will play a great round of golf in round two. I'm excited to get out there and have another shot. I'm ready to kick some butt!

I tee it up at 1:20 in the afternoon at Columbia Country Club in round two. Check here for the good news afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...