Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Disappointment on Day 1

The first round did not go according to plan. Despite feeling good heading into the tournament and having a nice warm up session in the morning, I just felt uncomfortable and out of sync on the golf course. Horrible front-nine ball striking and poor putting all day led to a very, very bad 77 on a golf course that yielded a plethora of low rounds.

This round was painful. I truly thought I was ready to play well, but I just never settled into any kind of rhythm. I was actually getting away with a lot of poor tee shots on the front nine, but two three-putts and a four-putt caused me to play the final five holes of the front nine in six-over-par. I did settle down a little from a ball-striking standpoint on the back nine as I hit every green and had a reasonable look at birdie on each of the last eight holes. Unfortunately, I never got even one of those birdie putts to fall.

I must admit that I got a little down today as I felt what had been a great deal of excitement about my game slowly melt away. I did not do a good job staying in the present, and I was fighting a little bit of "internal pouting" out there on the course. I was kicking myself for that and trying to stay positive, but I did not handle my emotions very well today. Rough rounds are a part of this life that I am so gladly choosing to live right now, and I know that I need to handle them better in order to give myself the best chance to be successful. I will learn from today's experience and will not let it keep me down!

Tomorrow (Thursday) I play the more difficult of the two courses hosting this event. I know that I will need to play a great round of golf to keep myself alive in this tournament, but I also know that I am capable of doing just that. I'm ready to just relax and play golf. Tomorrow is a new day, and I AM going to enjoy the challenge as I tear up the course at River Run Country Club. Check back for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...