Friday, October 21, 2011

Bad News (But a Happy Delivery)

I did not advance through the First Stage of PGA Tour Qualifying this week at the Club at Irish Creek in Charlotte, North Carolina. Three mediocre rounds left me a little bit behind the eight ball going into the final round, but I felt like I was ready to have a great final round. I went out today and handled the nerves like a champ. I was very calm given the circumstances, and I executed very well. I hit every fairway and every green on front nine and, despite misreading a couple of very make-able birdie putts, made the turn at three under par. I did hit a couple of squirrely drives on the first few holes of the back nine, but after bogeying number 11, I played stellar golf the rest of the way, but could not get any birdies to fall. The closing four holes at Irish Creek are all very long, and I hit two four irons and two hybrids into the greens on that stretch of holes. I gave myself great looks at birdie on 15, 17 and 18 and hit the four iron on 17 right over the flag into a very difficult spot long of the green. I hit great putts all day, too, but could never quite get anything to go in the hole. I ended the day with a one-under-par round of 70. That score left me three shots short of the eventual qualifying score for the week, but I am thrilled to know that I played well enough to get it done in the final round even though it didn't quite happen for me.

I am obviously very disappointed with this result, but I am not discouraged. My round today was very encouraging, in fact. I need a couple days to process all the events of the past week and spend some time with my family, but then I'll come back and talk more about the year in summary and what comes next. One thing is for certain: I am not slowing down or giving up! Thank you so much for following me and for all the support you offer. Come back for more news soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...