Friday, January 21, 2011

Getting Better Quickly (I was even PERFECT for a second)

I have had very good practice the last two days. Though I am definitely not comfortable yet over all of my full shots, I feel like my ball-striking has really improved greatly--both on the driving range and on the course. I have also spent a good chunk of time on the practice green lately, and I feel that I am starting to roll the ball well. When I am able to play golf by myself, chipping is one area of my game that receives a lot of extra attention. I will often spend 10-15 minutes hitting a variety of chip and pitch shots around each green while I am out playing. I am really starting to feel confident over all kinds of shots near the green. I am committed to using a lot of different clubs to hit chips, and I grow more comfortable each day using lower lofts to add very efficient "bump-and-run" type shots to my arsenal. My game definitely still has some rust, particularly in terms of ball-striking, but I feel like I'm very close to being in good form already.

It is true that my ball-striking is a little inconsistent right now, but for a brief moment on Thursday evening, I was perfect. I was playing by myself as I often do and was playing two balls, but with my first swing on the 172-yard par-3 17th hole on the Mountain View Course at Callaway Gardens, I hit a six iron that felt perfect off of the club, flew perfectly, and went right into the hole. It was kind of surreal because I could plainly see the ball go in, but I also could tell that I was the only person on the golf course. I don't mind, though, because I will remember the feeling of that shot, and I know that I can repeat it!

I spent a good bit of time this morning mulling over tournament schedules and filling in my calendar with many events that I would like to play. I will put all that information together and post my tentative tournament schedule on here in the coming days. One thing I know for sure right now is that my first event of the year will be an Egolf Tour event on Hilton Head Island February 16-19. I said many times over the holidays that I would be playing the best golf of my life when February rolls around, and I really feel like I'm going to make good on that prediction. Keep it here for more information and more good practice reports from Callaway Gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...