Monday, August 9, 2010

They Say You've Got to Be There...

I'm a heartbroken little pup right now. My game has been so good lately and today was no exception in the Monday Qualifier for this week's Nationwide Tour event in Springfield, Missouri. I played today at a course called Rivercut Golf Course after getting into town and riding the course at about 4:00 in the afternoon yesterday. My play was darn near flawless from tee-to-green. I hit all 18 greens in regulation and had a good look at birdie on all but two holes. I had it six under heading to the par-five 18th, and after a poor drive played two solid iron shots to sit some forty feet from the hole. Knowing that two putts would likely get me into the event, I couldn't calm my nerves enough to do it. I left the first putt some two and a half feet short and made a very nervous stroke to miss the second putt. It was a 67, and the 66's qualified.

I'm so disappointed with the way I handled that situation on the closing green. I just was not thinking clearly. I was nervous, and I hit both of my putts without really committing to or trusting anything. I am okay with the fact that I am going to execute poorly from time to time, but I cannot accept the fact that it was a matter of thinking poorly that cost me in this situation.

With that said, it is over now, and all I can do is learn from it. I'm super-excited about the status of my game right now. I'm hitting so many quality golf shots and really do feel like my putting is coming around. I know that good things are coming, and I'm certain that the next time I am in the position that I was today, I will stay calm, think properly and get a better result. I know that I will be there again soon!

Check back here in a couple days for a practice report and to see what's coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up on a Positive Last Month

I've been too busy playing golf tournaments and working on my game to update my blog! That's really not true, but I have been keepin...