Saturday, April 26, 2014

Frustrated but Still Trusting

Well, my results were pretty darn lousy in New Orleans. I hit the ball poorly and, despite feeling great on the greens, didn't make any putts either. It added up to a 74, 73 (+3) performance and a missed cut by five shots. It is really disappointing after a couple nice weeks of practice at home to not be able to produce better results than that. My ball-striking was simply too erratic and my putter too cold. 

So, that's the bad news, and it definitely has me feeling frustrated right now, but there is good news. My practice has continued to feel very good, and I have had a great week of work thus far. I show a lot of positive signs in my short game and putting practice, and I know that I am on the right track in those areas. On top of that, I had a little bit of my old mentality back on the greens. I felt like I was going to make every putt. As it turned out, I actually putted poorly and hardly made anything, but to have that feeling is a good sign of things to come. Clearly, I'm not taking away a lot of positive memories from my tournament play this week, but I did a good job of sticking to my process, and I am confident that I'll get back on track soon. 

I need to find a groove with my ball-striking, though. I've never been a long hitter, but when I've played well, I've always been able to hit the ball solidly and very accurately. Right now I am doing neither. Things can change quickly in golf, however, and I am ready to find that "lovin' feeling" again. I've got a couple ideas that might help me find that groove, but mostly, I know I just need to trust my work and believe in myself. I am really excited to keep digging with a great attitude. I will find it!

For a five-month stretch last year, I truly believe I played some of the best and most consistent golf in the world, and I know that I can improve on that performance. It's no fun to be stuck in such a rut right now, but I know that my best golf is still ahead of me. I'm far from done improving. And I enjoy the challenge of continuing to get better! 

It may seem a long ways off right now, but I believe that GREAT stuff is coming! I believe in my process and I believe in my talent. Thank you for caring about me and following along. 

I'm traveling to Charlotte, NC, today where I will get a head-start on preparations for next week's Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow Golf Club. Keep it here for a practice report very soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...