Monday, March 17, 2014

Same Plan; New Commitment; Go Time

I’ve been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about ways to make my Map Goals more palatable and more productive for me. With this in mind, I have made some changes to my short game practice goals which will allow me to be more process-oriented and also will encourage consistency in my practice. Additionally, I’ve made some simple changes to my fitness requirements that will allow me to keep doing the very “me-specific” exercises prescribed by my expert at the Titleist Performance Institute while also incorporating a little bit of the stuff I have always done. The purpose of all of my Map Goals is to help me have focused and intentional preparation so that I’ll be ready physically and mentally to perform in competition. I feel really good about the slight evolution that my Map Goals have taken this year. (By the way, though the list probably won’t appear much different, I will be publishing my updated goals in the “2014 Goals” tab located at the top of the page.)  

With all this thought about my Map Goals, I actually read through my Outcome Goals for the first time in a little while. Guess what? I’m not off to a perfect start to this year by any means, but I am still in great shape to achieve all of my goals. Reading those Outcomes Goals that I plan to achieve this year was very motivational, and I am ready to get to work to make them happen!

The key, though, is not focusing on the outcomes. When I say that I am motivated, I mean that I am motivated to take care of my process—to follow my MAP. I have learned over the last two and a half months that the PGA Tour is very challenging. The very best players in the world play where I play, but I have also learned without a doubt that when I do a good job of controlling the things that I can control, namely my preparation and my attitude, I belong at the highest level. When I take care of my process, I give myself a great chance to achieve every one of my goals.

So I need a re-dedication of sorts to my Map Goals. With the weather getting warmer (sorry to my friends still buried in snow) and the days getting longer, I commit to this updated list of goals and to being thoroughly prepared each and every time I hit the course in competition.

I absolutely love my job, so I am extremely pumped to get after this new commitment. As I said in my previous post, I will be in Panama City, Panama, this week competing on the Web.com Tour. I really have no idea what to expect in Panama, but I know that I’m going to have a great week of work and enjoy myself doing it!

Thank you very much for following me and for caring about my career. Keep it here for updates and news from Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Visible Progress

I’ve been making a lot of invisible progress lately. By that, I mean that my scores have been consistently rather stinky, but beneath that,...