Monday, March 3, 2014

Back to Me

My golf is definitely not off to the start for which I had hoped in 2014. A big part of the problem is that I haven't been at my best physically. I've not driven the ball consistently well; I've struggled with my iron play; and my putting has been very below average for me. These physical shortcomings have led to an even bigger problem, however. I've gotten down on myself mentally and have been pressing to get better results. This past week at the eGolf event, I had a revelation. I've never been the most talented guy physically. It has always been the intangibles that have allowed me to excel. I'm still not playing my best golf right now, but I am going to recapture the mental game, attitude, and commitment to preparation that have always given me an advantage. I'm going to get back to being me in a few different areas, and I'm going to let my process get me to the results I want. 

The first area where I need to get back to being me is obvious: my mental game. I have let myself become results-oriented lately and therefore have been pretty darn negative because of my lack of results. The fix for this is easy for me. I am going to really commit to my process and believe in it. If I follow my Map Goals and maintain a good attitude, I know that I am doing everything I can to control the results. I'm going to get back into my process and let the results take care of themselves. 

I need to get back to being me with my golf swing as well. I've never been a technical player, but there are two major keys that have always helped me hit the ball my best. I have to have good width in my backswing and make a smooth transition into my downswing. If I remember these two things and keep everything else very simple, I know that I can find "that lovin' feeling" with my ball-striking again very soon. 

Finally, I need to start being me again with my practice. I have revised my Short Game Map Goals to make them more process-oriented and to more closely mirror what I was doing last year. I am going go base my short game practice on what I have called "Proximity Sets". A Proximity Set consists of hitting three balls within a predetermined total distance from a target. This kind of practice demands consistency and also puts a little pressure on the shots. I have made a couple of other modifications to the Short Game section of my Map Goals and will also update my Fitness goals. My practice and preparation routine has always set me up for success, and I'm going to get back to it.

I use the word "excited" a lot here on my blog, but right now, I am very excited. I'm also realistic. My physical skills are not in sync right now, but I feel like I have a great plan in place. I'm going to get back to being me. I'm going to take care of my process. I'm going to have a lot of FUN. 

By the way, I'm back in action on the PGA Tour this week in the Puerto Rico Open. How cool is it that I'm on the PGA Tour?!

Thank you for supporting me and believing in me. I believe in myself, too! Keep it here for updates and news from Puerto Rico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...