Friday, September 23, 2011

High Expectations

I'm not sure how to feel right now about my performance in this year's Missouri Open. At the end of the day, I posted two decent rounds of golf (69, 70) and had a decent finish (Tie 4th), but I certainly expected to win the event and feel that I should have. I find myself incredibly disappointed with that result, but the truth of the matter is that I played very solid golf from the 7th hole through the 34th hole of the event. A nervous and sloppy start combined with some untimely mistakes on the final two holes left me two shots behind the winning score, but neither of those two things change the fact that my game is in great shape and I am playing very well. I'm disappointed right now, but I know that with just a little time to process this, I'll realize that it was still a very positive tournament and another step in the right direction.

In the final round today, I played incredibly solid golf and had myself in position to win with two holes remaining. I was three under par for the round and hit a great drive right in front of the green on the par-4 17th. I hit a great chip but the ball landed more softly than I had envisioned that it would, and then my jaw dropped as the ensuing ten-foot birdie putt failed to take the break and lipped out on the high side. I was proud of every shot I hit on the 17th, and the end result should not change that. I did hit a terrible drive on 18 and followed it with a poor club selection and then a misjudged chip from a tough position over the green. Eventually I tapped in for bogey on the final hole, and a final round of two-under-par 70. I feel like I was in a good place mentally heading into the closing two holes, but I simply didn't get the results for which I was looking today. I know that I can play 17 and 18 at Old Hawthorne in one under par with my eyes closed, but I didn't do that today, and that has left me in a disappointing position right now. I'm still happy, and I still feel great. I can't wait to get back in action because I know that I am playing great.

I'll be back on here with another update very soon because I need to tell you about more exciting opportunities that are coming up in the very near future. Thank you for following!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...