Saturday, July 30, 2016

Major Disappointment

Time to take some inventory. I played my first Major Championship this week. That is a good thing. I had to do something special to earn the right to be in the PGA Championship. I can't forget that I won on the PGA Tour last Fall. That was less than a year ago. And it was very good.

I missed the cut this week in my first Major. I posted consecutive rounds of 73 for a six-over-par total and finished four shots outside the cut. This marks my tenth consecutive missed cut and 17th in my last 18 events. That is bad. I presently feel far-removed from the celebration of the win that qualified me for my first major. I feel beaten up, and it feels very bad.

If I were to trust everything that I feel, I would be in trouble right now. I feel beaten up. I feel bruised and battered. I feel like I'm failing. These are the things that I presently feel. Here are some things that I know, even if I can't feel them right now. I know that I am a PGA Tour winner. I know that I am continuing to work on the right things in my golf game. I know that my process leads to steady improvement, and that my best golf is still ahead of me. I know that I will continue to get better. I know that I will come out of this slump. I know that I have a two-year exemption on the PGA Tour. Most importantly, I know that results on the golf course don't define me as a success or failure. I may not be able to feel all of these things right now, but I know they are true.

I'm definitely bummed, but I've got too much good stuff going on to sulk. First of all, I have an amazing wife, family, and team of supporters who love me and are there for me exactly the same whether I've just won a tournament or just missed my 17th cut in 18 weeks. Secondly, even though the results don't show it, I really am working on the right things and improving my golf game. I can't exactly explain what's going on with my tournament play. My practice feels better and better each week, and I feel like all areas of my game are ready to excel. I'm hitting the ball more solidly than ever on the range, and I'm really starting to control it well, too. My putting was definitely off at the beginning of this slump, but my stroke feels good again, and I'm starting the roll the ball really well. My short game and wedge play are both solid. I just need to relax and let it happen. Subconsciously, I know I'm putting added pressure on myself to end this slump and get back in the hunt on the weekend, and I find myself playing with a lot of tension. It's easier said than done, but I've got to be tough enough to let go of worrying about results and go play with freedom. I'll be honest: I'm not sure how to do that right now, but I'm going to figure it out. I've got too much talent, and my game is rounding into form too well to allow myself to continue to play with tension.

I usually have a specific action plan for how I'm going to make things happen. Right now, I really don't. I'm going to keep working hard on my golf game so that it is even more ready to perform in tournament conditions, and I'm going to make the conscious decision to let go of results and play with freedom. When I truly play with freedom and let the good golf that is in me come out, I'll qualify for a lot more majors.

The tone of this post has been largely negative, and it is coming from a place of great frustration, but I don't want to forget the place it started. I just played in my first Major Championship. That is really cool. And there will be many more; I am confident of that.

I know a lot of you out there are rooting for me and believing in me. I really appreciate it, and I believe in me, too. I'm off to Hartford, CT, now for the Traveler's Championship next week. It is one of my favorite events on Tour, and I'm going to prepare well and play with great freedom. Keep it here for updates!

16 comments:

  1. Peter, you may feel bruised, beaten up and disappointed but you are anything but a failure.
    Sounds to me like your practice is focused more on the process and not the outcome. Thats what you need to take to the course, refocus on the execution and not the outcome. With as many golf balls you've hit during practice and in tournaments you should have plenty of memories of great shots you've hit with every club in your bag. Every shot you are faced with during the round, go back to the time you pured that shot be it in practice or a round and hit it.
    Easy for me to say as I'm sitting on my couch watching golf on TV but throw caution to the wind, have fun, keep wearing that infectious smile of yours and focus on the process. Who cares what's happened up to this point. Treat everyday like its Jan 1st a new beginning and fresh start.
    We continue to be proud of you and your accomplishments! Keep up the good work!
    Winning is fun.....so go have FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Peter ! We are rooting for you and believe you will find your game soon as you begin making some cuts. You're already proved that you belong on Tour from the win last fall. Go do it !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will figure it out Peter. The harder you grind on something, the smoother it becomes. This may very well be your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, Derek, played high school golf against you. He went to Houston. You guys won by 2 strokes. He was to follow you to Mizzou, but injury cost him his scholarship. Anyway, here is your solution: Read edmyersgolf.com, edmyersgolf.blogspot.com. I wrote a book called “Hogan’s Ghost” it's on Amazon.com. https://lnkd.in/b5xh8us. Kindle version is $5.00. Then come to Memphis for Professional Scoring Program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came here from PGAtour.com and I am very impressed with your blog. I can't imagine how difficult it is to try and stay positive when you're struggling. It's something I could use in my own game for sure especially when it feels like everything is piling on. Something I was curious about, do you take in the environment that you are playing in? The golf course, the spectators, your competitors, etc. I would imagine it would be interesting to hear even more about your take on these things. Another thing I was curious about, is do you look at the strokes gained or any other stats to direct your practice in any sort of way? Good luck at the Travelers, I'll be watching on TV and rooting for you. It looks like you're -1 thru 3 as I write this so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok let's evaluate here. Flawless -2 on the front and a cut anxiety induced +4 on the back. How about not keeping your own score anymore and no more watching the leaderboards and cut lines. Just play the appropriate shot each time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remember this: Peter and I got into a routine where he talked through each shot out loud and then I would confirm, which seemed to help him commit to the plan and stay focused on the “one shot at a time” mentality. Peter played solid the rest of the morning to finish around 8:30am with a round of -3 (68) and tied for the lead at -17.----from Alicia's blog after your victory in San Paolo last year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All right, you made the cut ! Play well this weekend and earn a nice check. ⛳️⛳️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay that was a seriously good run of golf today- good luck for rest of season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you really had it going today !!! Those last two holes were unfortunate but you should have some momentum for the future. 😜😁

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow -9 through 16 holes. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cut line moved -- that's a nice break ! Fairways and greens this weekend !

    ReplyDelete

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...