Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Shaky Start but Feeling Good in South Carolina

After a crazy day-and-a-half of travel, I arrived in the little town of Ninety-Six, South Carolina, at about 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon. A very quick practice round at the Patriot Golf Club at Grand Harbor, the host course for this week's Egolf event, was a nice tune-up for the tournament, and then I teed it up at that course at 7:50 this morning for my first round of play. Despite having a great morning and feeling pretty good, I really struggled early. I wasn't hitting the ball very solidly, missed a green from 94 yards in the middle of the fairway, and hit two very poor five-foot putts in the early part of my round. Through eight holes today, I had made one bogey and seven pars on a course that was ripe for the taking. My game never did return to consistently good form today, but I hit enough good shots and stayed very positive which allowed me to play my final ten holes in four under par for a three-under-par opening round of 69. On a day when scoring was absolutely great, this round wasn't what I was looking for, but I am extremely pleased with what I was able to get from a round in which I didn't have my best game.

A short practice and a lot of rest this afternoon led me into a very productive evening session at the event's co-host, the Golf Club at Star Fort. I played the course last year, but really did not remember it well at all, so this evening I walked the course and took a lot of mental notes that I think will help me tomorrow when I play the second round there. I also did some good work on the practice green and feel ready to go for tomorrow.

I tee off at 8:40 tomorrow morning, and I really feel like I am ready to play a great round. Come back tomorrow to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog Site

Hi everyone! Thank you for continuing to try to keep up with me. As you might have noticed, I've not been updating this blog at all late...